Green smoothies are an easy way to add at least 5 fruits and vegetables in you diet. This Easy and Simple Acai Green Smoothie recipe uses acai berry which is known for its high sources of antioxidants and artery-protective flavanoids. While whole acai berries are be preferred for maximum benefit, it can be quite expensive – especially if you are wanting to use all organic, so we are using a frozen version here. You can substitute water for almond milk or cashew milk for added taste and additional vitamins and minerals.
Acai: I buy the unsweetened Sambazon frozen acai packs at my natural grocer – they’re decently priced and keep for months in the freezer. They have a few varieties and I always try to get the unsweetened ones so I can control the sweetness of my smoothie. I add a little raw honey here for extra enzymes and sweetness, but if you buy the regular packs just omit the honey to be mindful of your sugar intake. You can also buy these in a powder form and start with one spoon and increase based on how you like the taste.
Almonds: Be sure they are raw so you get the maximum health benefits. Also, you are essentially making your own almond milk in this recipe by blending the raw almonds and purified water. I love the nutty flavor and texture of homemade almond milk, but you can also substitute any other raw nut milk if you like.
You can change up the fruits to add pineapple or mango instead of the apple and pear. I use a couple of carrots sometime and it does not alter the taste. If the acai flavor is pretty strong, start with smaller amount than the half packets.
You should always include at least one berry in your standard and simple green smoothie recipe (blueberry, raspberry etc). Also add in one or two greens in your smoothie. You should alternate ingredients as frequently as possible to improve nutrient absorption. Also, I love the flavor and texture of banana in my smoothies, but some people really don’t care for it.
Need to find something? Use the Table of Contents
Ingredients for the Simple acai green smoothie
- Handful of spinach
- 1/2 cup of water (almond milk or homemade almond milk works too)
- some ice
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 small pieces of cucumber or a couple of carrots
- 1/2 apple or pear
- 1/2 packet of acai packet
- A sqeeze of honey if you want your smoothie to be sweet
- Optionally you can add blue berries, raspberries, strawberries or blackberries
- Coconut chips
- Soak your chia seeds in water before adding to smoothie. The seeds will activate and become a gel.
- Depending on what blender you have, you may want to blend up the greens with the chia first before adding fruit. If you have a vitamix, you can add all of the ingredients at the same time, it is powerful enough to blend it all
- Combine rest of ingredients, blend on high for 30-45 seconds in your blender of choice.
- You should add the acai packet and agave or honey towards then end of your blend rotation.
- You can reduce the water to make it a thicker consistency suitable to make a acai smoothie bowl and add berries and coconut ships to the top.
Key Health Benefits
- Spinach is an excellent source of iron and other nutrients.
- Cucumbers are 95 percent water, keeping the body hydrated while helping the body eliminate toxins.
- Chia seeds help clean your colon with insoluble and soluble fiber while giving you a daily value of omega 3.
- Acai berries is loaded with antioxidants to protect cell health.