Rome was not built in a day, you sure can’t see all of Rome’s glory in a day. Allow 3 days or a week if you can. Prepared to walk a lot, with kids allow for some down time like sitting down on the Spanish steps or gelato’s by the fountains which seem to be at every Piazza or square. We also stopped at the Ferrari store to look at the display and D brought back home a cool backpack that he cherishes to this day.
8 of our favorite things to do in Rome
1. Went to Bernini’s Piazza San Pietro, St. Peters Basilica in Vatican city and the Sistine Chapel.
2. Visit the Coliseum, Arch of Constantine and the Roman Forum
3. Pay homage to the planets and stars at Pantheon – Absolutely beautiful on the inside with the light streaming in from the oculus. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon’s dome is still the world’s largest unreinforced concrete dome.
4. Eat Pizza and gelato at the cafes, kids enjoyed the cute motifs on the hot chocolate.
5. Watch the amorous Roman couples and tourists at the Piazza di Spagna or Spanish steps.
6. Shop at the Via dei Condotti and surrounding streets for souvenirs.
7. Stopped at the Piazza Navona where the Berninis fountains(Four Rivers Fountain, Fountain of the Moor, Fountain of the Neptune) are and watch, street performers and artists in action.
8. Toss a coin into the Trevi Fountain to ensure that one day we’ll return back to the Eternal City!
Have you been to Rome? What is your favorite memory of Rome?